The second intake for the Alberta Jobs Now program is now open with updated and expanded eligibility and benefits.
What is the Alberta Jobs Now Program?
The program allows employers to apply for funding to cover the salary and training costs of new hires. It is the largest job training program in Alberta’s history, and allows businesses with eligible new hires can claim up to 25% of their salary (up to $25,000 per employee), and 37.5% (up to $35,000) if the employee is disabled.
To be eligible for the funding, your business must:
- Be incorporated or have a registered trade name.
- Be located and operational in Alberta.
- Be hiring for new or vacant positions that will last at least 52 weeks.
- Provide safe working conditions and be in good standing with WCB, OHS, etc.
For employees to eligible for the program, they must:
- Have been hired on or after May 19, 2021.
- Be a new hire of the employer. Those employees that were previously terminated or laid off by the employer are not eligible for the program.
- Start their new position(s) within 90 calendar days of the employer’s application being approved (when applying for the program before an employee has officially started their new position).
What makes the second intake different?
The eligibility requirements have been expanded to include more businesses in the program. Here is a breakdown of the new requirements:
- The program is now open to businesses that have incorporated within the last year.
- The minimum number of average hours an employee has to work has been reduced to 15 hours per week.
- Employers can apply for up to 10 eligible new hires.
- Employers now have up to 90 days to recruit for approved positions.
If an employer was previously declined their new employee(s) were not eligible for the program, but now qualify for the program under the new criteria, the employer can reapply.
How do I apply?
Applications for the program are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until the funding is allocated. You can apply now by following this link: https://employerapplication.labour.alberta.ca/