Many workers, including those who are self-employed or contractors, are not eligible for EI.
On April 6, these workers can apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) via their CRA online account or Service Canada.
Prior to April 6, individuals who are without work and eligible for EI should continue to apply for EI.
The intent of CERB is for workers who lose their income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Specifically noted are:
- Workers sick with COVID-19 and no access to paid leave
- Workers quarantined or caring for someone sick with COVID-19
- Working parents at home without pay because children are sick OR need care due to school/daycare closures
- Workers currently employed but not paid due to insufficient work/employer asked you not to work
- Includes contract workers or self-employed individuals not eligible for EI
To qualify, you also must have had at least $5,000 in income in 2019 from any combination of employment, self-employment, and maternity and parental EI benefits.
This benefit will be $500/week for up to 16 weeks and replaces the previously announced Emergency Care Benefit and Emergency Support Benefit.
Updates are being made frequently to this program. For the most up to date information, please click here.
As your trusted advisors, we will update you as soon as we have more information.
If you have any questions, please contact your HGA Advisor or email@example.com.